Sunday 18 December 2011

Christmas cake design, trees and stars

This is my 2011 Christmas cake. Actually remembered to photograph it this year!

I usually find Christmas cake design a challenge. Difficult not to be too tacky. This year I decided to make painting the cake my theme. I LOVE painting cakes. It is actually a fairly quick way to get a striking design.

Initially I thought to do a black cake with gold stars but this design eventually came together.

The stars are made from 26 gauge wire and flower paste. I just rolled out a thin (but not too fine) piece of flower paste and used my new star cutters to cut out different size stars. Then I dipped the end of the wire in glue and posted through the star. Allow to dry, and paint. (I will add a separate post to tell you how to make homemade edible glue)

In order to be safe it isn't wise to stick wires directly into your Christmas cake. You really need a flower posy pick. They're very cheap and available from your local florist or ebay. They're designed for adding real flowers to wedding cakes. You simply plunge it all the way into your cake and it prevents contamination and also forms a seal with the sugarpaste- as it is the sugarpaste that preserves your cake.

Once your stars are dry, plug the top of your pick up with a ball of sugarpaste and then push the wires through. Carefully bend the wires outwards until you are happy.

Hope you like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment